In-memory Technology Significantly Improves Business Intelligence Performance
MicroStrategyIncorporated (Nasdaq: MSTR), worldwide provider of business intelligence (BI) software, today announced that its In-memory technology delivers significantly higher performance for BI applications, even at the highest scale.
MicroStrategy’s In-memory technology is engineered to meet the increased demand for higher BI performance, which is driven by the rapid expansion of both data volumes and the number of BI users in organizations across industries. MicroStrategy accelerates performance by pre-calculating computations and placing the results into its In-memory acceleration engine to dramaticallyimprove real-time query performance.Some examples of BI applications that require rapid response times include:
- Mobile Applications:MicroStrategy’s In-memory technology provides the speed and performance to support large mobile user populations. MicroStrategy can provide thousands of store managers at a fashion retailer with rapid access to sales information on a smartphone.
- DashboardApps:Next generation dashboard applications, called “DashboardApps,” can contain an entire day's worth of information for BI users within a single dashboard. With MicroStrategy’s In-memory technology, a health services provider can generate 30,000 personalized dashboards in just one hour and deliver them via e-mail to pharmacy owners.
- Extranets:MicroStrategy’s In-memory technology delivers high performance at the scale needed to support large extranet applications. For example, a manufacturing company can use MicroStrategy’s In-memory technology to provide its extensive network of suppliers and vendors with dashboards to help ensure materials and products are shipped on time.
MicroStrategy’s latest software release, MicroStrategy 9 Release 2, offers significant performance improvements that make business intelligence faster for BI users. These enhancements include:
- Improved Data Compression:New data compression algorithms enable MicroStrategy’s In-memory cubes to store up to three times as much data as before and provide users with greater analytical depth and breadth.
- Faster Data Loading:Creating In-memory cubes has been enhanced in MicroStrategy 9 Release 2 to allow organizations to incorporate more data into memory within regular data loading windows. New data loading algorithms in MicroStrategy 9 Release 2 allow in-memory data to be loaded up to 30% faster than before, enabling companies to load more data into memory during their batch window.
- Faster Analysis:MicroStrategy’s latest release includes new In-memory query algorithms that can deliver answers twice as fast. Testing at MicroStrategy’s High Performance and Scalability Lab and at customer sites show that MicroStrategy can deliver up to four times as many reports as before using the same customer servers, with an average response time of less than two seconds.
With these performance enhancements, MicroStrategy’s Lab found customers can experience dramatic query response time and user scale improvements.
Faster Speed – Under 3-second response times for all critical reports
Business people often run similar reports on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. MicroStrategy’s In-memory technology accelerates response times for these reports, as well as subsequent analyses, by up to 10 times. With fewer reports running directly against the database, even ad hoc queries may observe better performance. The result is a much faster user experience allowing delivery of critical reports and analysis in less than 3 seconds.
Larger Scale – Deliver up to 145,000 queries per hour
Performance tests show MicroStrategy can deliver up to 145,000 queries per hour running on a single server of inexpensive, commodity hardware, enabling organizations to support the highest reporting volumes with minimum hardware requirements.
“MicroStrategy 9 Release 2 brings improvements to its in-memory algorithms that improve both real-time query performance, load times to OLAP caches, and memory required,” said Cindi Howson, founder of BIScorecard. “While MicroStrategy 9 had excellent data scalability, MicroStrategy 9 Release 2 enhances user scalability, even with complex analytic queries.”
“Organizations are increasingly leveraging their BI applications as a source of competitive advantage,” said Sanju Bansal, MicroStrategy’s COO. “MicroStrategy’s In-memory technology can help companies to provide the level of performance they need to promote large scale BI adoption, and improve the decisions of thousands of employees at all levels of the organization.”
For more details, visithttp://www.microstrategy.com/high-performance-BI.
Founded in 1989, MicroStrategy is a global leader in business intelligence (BI) technology. MicroStrategy provides integrated reporting, analysis, and monitoring software that helps leading organizations worldwide make better business decisions every day. Companies choose MicroStrategy for its ease-of-use, sophisticated analytics, and superior data and user scalability. MicroStrategy offers free reporting software that can be downloaded from its website,http://www.microstrategy.com/freereportingsoftware. More information about MicroStrategy (Nasdaq: MSTR) is available atwww.microstrategy.com.
MicroStrategy, MicroStrategy 9, and MicroStrategy Business Intelligence Platform are either trademarks or registered trademarks of MicroStrategy Incorporated in the United States and certain other countries. Other product and company names mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.