Choosing the right Examination glove
There are so many different gloves on the market, choosing the correct glove for the right application can be difficult, time consuming and some what confusing. So which examination glove do I choose? The best place to begin is to establish the level of protection required for the task at hand, and understand the manufacturing standards of the variety of gloves on offer.
Gloves are produced from many different materials, each with specific properties for specific applications. Examination gloves have traditionally been manufactured from natural rubber latex as it is the most elastic material known and soft and comfortable to wear. It also provides excellent tensile strength and its elasticity brings resistance to abrasion, cuts and tears.
There are alternatives to latex, ideal for latex allergy sufferers or where greater protection against solvents is required.
Vinyl examination gloves are available in the "traditional" hard formulation or also in a high molecular weight formulation as with the Pro-Val Stretch Vinyl PF - which is softer and less liable to splitting. These gloves are widely used in industry particularly where the user is likely to come in contact with oils and greases.
Nitrile examination gloves provide resistance to a broad range of chemicals including petroleum based solvents, oil, grease, acids and caustics. They have excellent resistance to abrasions, cuts and punctures. The nitrile softens rapidly on the skin to provide the most comfortable experience even when the gloves have been used for prolonged periods of time. The close fitting nitrile provides enhanced tactility and is able to dissapate heat from the hand faster, reducing sweating and skin irritation. Nitrile gloves meet the needs of both medical, laboratory and industrial users.
Neoprene (Polychloroprene) examination gloves offer true comfort, quality and protection. The neoprene is a synthetic alternative to natural rubber latex, providing better elongation and tensile strength than nitrile. The Chemoprene glove offers outstanding permeation resistance to cytotoxic chemotherapy drugs and outstanding chemical resistance, including higher resistance to Alcohols. Ideal for use in chemotherapy treatment, hospitals, medical clinics, dentists as well as laboratories and pharamceutical industries.
Below are some points to help you decide which examination glove is best suited to your needs.
* The most elastic material known
* Elasticitity brings resistance to abrasion, cuts and tears
* Soft and comfortable to wear
* Ideal for latex allergy sufferers
* Excellent resistance to fats, petroleum based hydrocarbons, most oils, acids, fats, alkalis and caustics
* Excellent resistance to abrasion, cuts and punctures
* Resistant to a broad range of chemicals including petroleum based solvents, oils, grease and caustics
* Comfortable to wear after prolonged use
* Very good tensile strength and elasticity
* Outstanding permeation resistance to cytotoxic chemotherapy drugs
* Higher elongation and than nitrile gloves
* Resistant to a broad range of oils, acids, caustics, bleaches, detergents and alkalis