CHIVAS BROTHERS BLENDS DATA PROTECTION WITH PREMIUM DEDUPLICATION TO SAFEGUARD MISSION-CRITICAL, ENTERPRISE DATA
—Award-Winning Scotch Whisky Company Reports That Simpana Software Slashed Backup Window in Half, Reduced Redundant Data by up to 90 Percent and Lowered Administrative Overhead by 70 Percent
CommVault (NASDAQ: CVLT) –Reading, U.K.—March 21, 2011
- Chivas Brothers, the producer of market-leading Scotch whiskies, has replaced multiple, inefficient backup and recovery products with CommVault Simpana software to help improve data management operations.
- Chivas Brothers is now using Simpana software’s disk-based backup and recovery, deduplication and replication capabilities to modernise and simplify its legacy systems and processes.
- Chivas Brothers’ long history of business expansion and growth had resulted in an IT infrastructure composed of multiple physical and virtual servers, various financial applications and information systems and several disparate backup products. These, in turn, made maintaining recovery and management operations extremely difficult and costly. Four remote sites and a heavy reliance on tape further compounded the problem, adding onerous administrative costs to the equation.
- The company needed to make major improvements in administration, data reduction and operational efficiency. After an exhaustive review process, CommVault was selected because it offered a highly functional yet easy-to-use application, mature deduplication with CommVault’s deduplication-to-tape functionality, and broad support for its complex IT environment.
Chivas Toasts CommVault for Modern Data Management
- With Simpana software, Chivas Brothers safeguards vital enterprise information, including Microsoft Exchange and Oracle ERP data. According to the company, it has slashed backup windows in half and decreased their administrative overhead by 70 percent.
- Additionally, Chivas Brothers states that it keeps pace with 30-percent annual data growth by utilising Simpana software deduplication to reduce up to 90 percent of protected data. Now the company can retain up to three months of data on disk for greatly accelerated recoveries and major reductions in tape cost.
- According to Chivas Brothers, operations have improved, thanks to increased reliability of mission-critical backups and restores. In addition, expedited Oracle backups and granular Microsoft Exchange restores maximise the availability of mission-critical data.
- Chivas Brothers reports that CommVault’s embedded data deduplication has exceeded expectations for data reduction while enabling substantial savings in tape media costs by eliminating incremental backups to tape. Additional savings are predicted based on the company’s ability to defer replacement of 20 older LTO tape drives.
- CommVault software’s integrated replication functionality also has let Chivas Brothers eliminate tape-based backups at the company’s four main remote sites. Further cost savings and streamlined administration occurred by decreasing the number of remote backup servers from eight to one.
- In the future, Chivas Brothers plans to take advantage of Simpana software’s source-side deduplication to eliminate redundant client data before it’s sent over the corporate network for additional savings in backup and recovery time and resources.
- A team of 15 people oversees Chivas Brothers’ corporate data network, which spans about 150 physical and 100 virtual servers that support applications and data across 30 corporate sites.
From Les Gilfillan, network manager for Chivas Brothers:
- “CommVault backup just works and restores are no longer a case of keeping our ‘fingers crossed’ that we can get our data back. We have full confidence that we can recover what we need quickly and with minimum fuss.”
- “CommVault’s deduplication has exceeded our expectations. The savings are remarkable—we didn’t expect it to be this good.”
- “We replaced multiple instances of legacy data management software with a centralised ‘single pane of glass’ and intuitive graphical user interface. The administrative savings are significant, which means a lot as we only have one dedicated person overseeing this area.”
- “I just want to know that my backups have run and there’s no fear factor when it comes to restores. As a proactive partner, CommVault delivers, which gives me complete confidence in the integrity of our enterprise data.”
- Chivas Brothers Case Study
- CommVault Simpana 9 Software
- More on CommVault deduplication
- More on CommVault replication
- More CommVault news
- Follow CommVault on Twitter
Subscribe to CommVault RSS feeds: http://news.commvault.com/rss-feeds.asp
Follow CommVault on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CommVault
Follow CommVault on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CommVault
A singular vision – a belief in a better way to address current and future data management needs – guides CommVault in the development of Singular Information Management solutions for high-performance data protection, universal availability and simplified management of data on complex storage networks. CommVault's exclusive single-platform architecture gives companies unprecedented control over data growth, costs and risk. CommVault's Simpana software suite of products was designed to work together seamlessly from the ground up, sharing a single code and common function set, to deliver superlative Data Protection, Archive, Replication, Search and Resource Management capabilities. More companies every day join those who have discovered the unparalleled efficiency, performance, reliability, and control only CommVault can offer. Information about CommVault is available at www.commvault.com. CommVault's corporate headquarters is located in Oceanport, New Jersey in the United States.
About Chivas Brothers
Chivas Brothers is the Scotch whisky and premium gin business of Pernod Ricard – the world’s co-leader in wine and spirits. Chivas Brothers is the global leader in luxury Scotch whisky and premium gin. Its portfolio includes Chivas Regal, Ballantine’s, Beefeater Gin, The Glenlivet, Royal Salute, Aberlour, Plymouth Gin, Longmorn, Scapa, 100 Pipers, Clan Campbell, Something Special and Passport.
In July 2010, Chivas Brothers launched The Age Matters campaign to help consumers understand the importance of Scotch whisky age statements.
Safe Harbor Statement
Customers' results may differ materially from those stated herein; CommVault does not guarantee that all customers can achieve benefits similar to those stated above. This press release may contain forward-looking statements, including statements regarding financial projections, which are subject to risks and uncertainties, such as competitive factors, difficulties and delays inherent in the development, manufacturing, marketing and sale of software products and related services, general economic conditions and others. Statements regarding CommVault's beliefs, plans, expectations or intentions regarding the future are forward-looking statements, within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. All such forward-looking statements are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results may differ materially from anticipated results. CommVault does not undertake to update its forward-looking statements.
1999-2011 CommVault Systems, Inc. All rights reserved. CommVault, CommVault and logo, the "CV" logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, Quick Snap, QSnap, SnapProtect, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, ROMS, and CommValue are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
+61 2 8007 6692
CommVault Systems (Aust.) P/L
+61 2 8197 7758