Excess paracetamol harms health
It may be available over-the-counter and is used widely, but doctors are warning that people should follow the directions for use of paracetamol closely after a study showed that taking a little too much in 2 or more doses within 8 hours can be dangerous, as reported by consumer health site www.itsmyhealth.com.au.
While it is well known that a large single dose can lead to liver failure and death, the new Scottish study shows people who take separate but higher than advised doses of the painkiller could face a higher risk of multi-organ failure than those who take a one-off overdose of the drug.
The danger arises because the so-called “staggered overdoses” are often missed on initial blood tests, but the drug accumulates in the system causing organ damage which makes it harder to treat later on, experts say.
The full article is available at