Homepage Esencia Communications newsroom

The deadly cat killer lurking in homes this Spring

Announcement posted by Esencia Communications 01 Sep 2021

The Cat Protection Society of Victoria has issued a warning to cat owners about the deadly consequences of having lilies in the home, as they come into season this Spring.


Dr Peta Keown, Senior Veterinarian at the Cat Protection Society of Victoria says that cats only need to ingest the pollen of a lily, and without treatment, it can lead to kidney failure or death.


“Many pet owners aren't aware of how dangerous certain lilies are to cats, and with many of us in lockdown, flowers such as ornamental lilies are being sent as gifts or purchased for display in the home. Even if a cat eats a couple of leaves, or rubs the pollen on their body then licks it off, they can suffer acute kidney failure within a very short period of time.”


Dr Keown is concerned about the number of cats that present in her clinic because they have ingested the flower. 


She says that if an owner suspects their cat has ingested a lily, they should visit the vet immediately. Signs to look out for include nausea, disinterest in food, changes in urinary patters, or any other signs that something just isn’t right in their cat.

The Cat Protection Society of Victoria is a not for profit animal welfare organisation committed to working with the community to ensure that every cat has the opportunity for a loving, safe and healthy home.